Thursday, November 27, 2008

Response to Dance

What were your reactions to the location in general?

In general, I thought the lighting was good, maybe the scary elements were a little bit off... It was kind of dirty, and it had the market feel. 


What is it like for you to witness people living in relative poverty in a place like DongMen surrounded by the relative wealth of Hsinchu?

It's not uncommon, since there are always going to be people with less wealth in the world, even in a bustling city like Hsinchu. What I felt like I witnessed more of was that the people living there aren't used to people using their location to film. After all, it is their home and we did sort of just show up and start filming. 


What would you do with a place like DongMen if you were the mayor of Hsinchu? Would you tear it down? Leave it? Try to revive the industry there? Allow people to live there or not?

The one thing that I wouldn't do is to tear it down. If the building is not one that is harmful, I don't believe that tearing down a building with history would be what I could do to a place like DongMen. I wouldn't necessarily leave it as it is, but I think attempting to revive the industry may be something I would look into. Because my two visits there, I noticed that the businesses there, are family owned and more widely spanned business- for example, for tourist attraction-, therefore would only get local customers. Considering the conditions they are living in, improving their business and reviving the industry would be beneficial and could possibly bring wealth to DongMen. 

No comments: