Monday, November 17, 2008

Dance at Dong Men


How did the site of DongMen alter the choreography that you created in the classroom?

     My first reaction when I saw DongMen was that I didn't find it very scary, so I was wondering how we could make everything work our so our final project would be a scary one. But then I realized that the lighting that the location provided was good. The information that we received about the escalator, we were able to choreograph a dance on a regular but shorter set of stairs. What I think was the biggest reaction that my group mates had was that they were surprised by the dirtiness of the broken escalator. I admit we were a little hesitant at first, but we thought up of using a plastic bag for when we could all lay on the ground. So yes, I think this is only the alteration we made to our dance, but for the most part, we didn't change the choreography, since we had something similar to an escalator that we worked with at school.

Now that you know this site better; If you were to go back to Dongmen, what would you add or subtract from your choreography to make it stronger?

     I think for the most part, we used our dance location, the escalator, very well. Escalator steps are elevated with different levels as it ascends, and we had dancers positioned at different levels of steps. We incorporated movements of walking up and down the stairs, which I thought was a good example of using a location wisely. Although I am not sure what could be added to our choreography to make it stronger, I've had the chance to look around DongMen, like the roof. I can think of some good choreography that I could suggest we do for such a place for future dance choreography.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree that you really used the escalator well and integrated the site seamlessly into your choreography. Many people have commented on how dirty DongMen was.

What were your reactions to the location in general? What is it like for you to witness people living in relative poverty in a place like DongMen surrounded by the relative wealth of Hsinchu? What would you do with a place like DongMen if you were the mayor of Hsinchu? Would you tear it down? leave it? try to revive the industry there? allow people to live there or not?