Monday, September 6, 2010

Plagiarism Lines Blur For Students in Digital Age

Vivian Cheng
AP English
06 September 2010
Weekly Blog #1

Plagiarism is a term I've first come to heard when I reached the last year of my Elementary years in Grade Seven. I remember vividly like it was yesterday. It was near out Elementary graduation day and our entire grade was in the school's computer lab. I remember this image of our teacher standing in front of the lab, gripping his stacks of paper. He voiced his words in his scolding, stern way, since we were only twelve-year-olds that time-only children. He spoke the word 'plagiarism' and asked our twelve-year-old selves meant. Maybe we were all too focused on the lure of the computer screens in front of us, or maybe we really weren't sure of the term. Nobody spoke, so the teacher told us what it was. I remember him giving him examples. It was too long ago, therefore I am unable to remember his words word for word, but my biggest impression of the word was when he told us how serious it was. He informed us that especially since we would be going to Grade 8 next year, our first year of High School in Canada, we would need to know the term 'plagiarism' because it was 'serious business'. Well, I do certainly believe it is serious business because it could become as serious as breaking the law.

According to passage from New York Times, at Rhode Island College, a freshman had copied and pasted word by word from Wikipedia and did not source this knowledge in his assignment (New York Times). Personally, I know that this is something that is wrong. If I were twelve years old now and that teacher of I mentioned earlier had asked me why I think the freshman's actions were wrong, I would have answered, "It's wrong because he only copied and pasted! He probably only spent two minutes on his assignment! I spent half an hour on mine!" The teacher would have maybe laughed a little at my childish response, but he surely would have reprimanded me on my childlike ignorance as well. Because today I am aware of that is considered stealing, when you don't cite somebody's words and claim them as your own. There are dire consequences that follow those actions, such as a failed paper, a slash to your own dignity, and most likely a disappointed advisor.

When plagiarism occurred, it was dealt with. In a college, where if a student performed plagiarism, he or she would be admonished or scolded as if he or she had stolen from Mom's cookie jar (The New York Times). Although, in the article, there is a bigger concern. Writing tutors and official representation for disciple suggest that many students simply do not grasp that using words they do not write is a serious matter (The New York Times). Going back to my reference on Mom's cookie jars, it is just like how a kid is scolded for stealing from the cookie jar, but in the kid's mind, he or she is only aware that if he or she were to do it again, Mom would give another earful. To the kid, the cookies tastes good, and only Mom and the word 'stealing' act as a barrier keeping the kid away from the cookies. As kids, they don't really understand why except that it's bad and that they'll get in trouble. Somehow, I feel like I can apply this to how young people today feel about plagiarism. They aren't able to understand the seriousness. Therefore they aren't able to reflect upon their actions.

"This generation has always existed in a world where media and intellectual property don't have the same gravity. When you're sitting at your computer, it's the same machine you've downloaded music with, possibly illegally, the same machine you streamed videos for free that showed on HBO last night." said Ms. Brookover (The New York Times). I don't doubt Ms. Brookover's words in the slightest. It is definitely true how our generation today is completely exposed to intellectual property. The easy access to knowledge is only a click away. Therefore I believe that learning how to properly cite sources is essential. Even if our generation is not used to it because knowledge is so accessible, it is something that should be regularly practiced. After all, like the words of an Indiana College student said towards relaxing plagiarism standards "does not foster creativity, but foster laziness" (The New York Times).

To wrap things up, I just want to end on the note that if students were properly taught how to cite sources in high school, they will be less tempted to plagiarize in college. Because if it is engrained into their system, then it would become a habit. It would be just like how I am used to writing my date and name on the top right corner on the pages in my notebook. Regularity with citation can be achieved, but it has to be taught.




References

Sites

"Plagiarism Lines Blur for Students in Digital Age" The New York Times,
Aug 01, 2010. Web. Sept 06, 2010.

Images

Bart Simpsons Image
*The original creator of the image could not be found, but the picture
was found from this link.

1 comment:

Shmikie said...

Sure, blame it on the teachers! Just kidding. Actually, I agree. Plagiarism and proper citation should be addressed all the way through high school. Keep in mind though, that is is much more complicated these days. Even I don't know all the rules for proper citation of online sources. It used to be so simple.